Recent Completion: Monroe Street Bridgehouse
CDOT has completed the rehabilitation of the historic bridgehouses on the Monroe Street bridge over the Chicago River’s South Branch.
The project restored the structures to their original, early 20th Century look, while providing some structural, mechanical and electrical upgrades.
Crews disassembled both the east and west bridgehouses and completely rebuilt them.
The bridge remained open to vehicular and pedestrian traffic during construction.
The $4.1 million project was completed in spring 2008.
The Monroe Street Bridge was constructed in 1919, and weather and wear had taken its toll. In 2002, crews had to remove the east bridgehouse and replace it with a plywood structure to house the bridge operating equipment.
The rehab project rebuilt that structure and updated the west bridgehouse. Additionally, a cast of an original bell from the Michigan Avenue bridge was used to make a new one for Monroe.
Chicago Sun-Times: "Monroe bridgehouses rebuilt to original grandeur"